With time various topics, most connected to the 'ancient ways,' will be covered. Some of these might be controversial in nature - you're most welcome to contribute.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Places of Comfort for the Domesticated Mind ...

Lately I've been 'investigating' my own mind ... the reasons for not 'feeling comfortable' in environments created by 'domesticated' humans.  These might include some parks, National Parks, zoos, some farming areas and most gardens.  I can handle it for a while, but then I have to walk places where the domesticated human chooses not to walk ... I have to sit at places the domesticated human avoids.  I have been told on occasions that some managed to get me out of the bush, but it's impossible to get the bush out of me ...

Last night I came across this:

"The mind is more comfortable in a landscaped park because it has been planned through thought; it has not grown organically.  There is an order here that the mind can understand.  In the forest, there is an incomprehensible order that to the mind looks like chaos.  It is beyond the mental categories of good and bad.  You cannot understand it through thought, but you can sense it when you let go of thought, become still and alert, and don't try to understand or explain.  Only then can you be aware of the sacredness of the forest.  As soon as you sense that hidden harmony, that sacredness, you realize you are not separate from it, and when you realize that, you become a conscious participant in it.  In this way, nature can help you become realigned with the wholeness of life."
                                                                                                                         Eckhart Tolle

Now ... this makes sense to me as I feel a discomfort in places 'landscaped' by the 'domesticated' mind.  Possibly the reason why as a landscaper I naturally steer away from formal precise lines and features.  Personally I hate lawns and any formal design structures.  Nothing is more beautiful than nature and that is where we should start ... not by taming it, controlling it, changing it ... but by working with it, blending in ... be part of it.

For some reason I can sense the 'destruction' and emptiness in these places.  For some reason my mind is not comfortable in places 'planned through thought.'

These places in nature not planned through thought ... we can't understand through thought ... the places we need to be Still to understand ... the places I like to be ...

Some places planned by a Wild Soul ... I do like ... some places were created with Stillness in mind ... no thought ... these are the places I like to create ... no thought, no mind ... only Stillness ...

No comments:

Post a Comment