With time various topics, most connected to the 'ancient ways,' will be covered. Some of these might be controversial in nature - you're most welcome to contribute.

Sunday, June 23, 2013

When I go Walkabout ...

Walkabout ~ A temporary return to traditional Aboriginal life, taken especially between periods of work or residence in modern society and usually involving a period of travel through the bush.

I love the term 'Walkabout,' because that is exactly what I've been doing all my life ... and now, here in Australia, there is actually a name for it ...

When I go 'Walkabout,' I don't want to drive ... I need to walk.  I don't want to sit on a chair or a log .. I need to sit on the ground.  I don't want to sleep in a bed, I struggle to do that in 'real life' anyway ... I need to sleep on the Earth, my ear listen to the Mother of all things ...

I see many people on the road, traveling this huge and beautiful country ... but they don't do any of these things ... that connection thing.  They travel at huge speeds, hundreds of kilometers a day ... they sit still and everything just flies past them.  They can't listen to anything, smell anything or see anything ... all just a blurr ...

They travel from one BIG scenery to the next ... taking photos, but do they see what is in between, do they listen, smell, touch ... or listen to the Stillness???

I see them stop and the first thing they do when they get out of the big 4x4 ... they spray themselves with a chemical ... to protect against everything that bites out there.  Second thing ... they slip, slop, slap themselves with a liter of sunscreen ... then cover themselves up from heel to head ...

How can you connect, if you need to hide yourself from everything ... the sun, your surroundings, the smells and the Earth ...

I watch these people ... instead of walking around and gathering firewood, they struggle for hours in the middle of nowhere to tune a satellite dish.  Long before it's dark, they're inside the BIG caravan, cooking some fast food dish, watching the Telly.  How can you connect if you don't see the sun set or rise ... how can you connect without a fire??  How do you connect and listen to the Stillness ... watching a square electronic box in the middle of the Universe???

How can you connect to the Earth, walking on rubber soles, speeding through God's country on rubber tires, rushing on 'steel' roads???  How can you connect sitting and sleeping high off the ground???

I don't understand these things ... the rushing from one big thing to another???

When I go Walkabout, I walk slowly ... I sleep with my ear touching the Mother of Earth ... I sit on the ground ... I make small fires ... I listen to the Stillness ... and now I understand that I do listen to the Dreamtime.  I want to walk naked ... I want to walk without shoes ... I want to feel everything ... listen to everything.

I want to be open to the Sun, to everything that bites ... I don't want to separate myself from anything ... as I see myself as part of it all ...

I am IT, I'm not separated from IT ... this is why I go Walkabout ... to connect.  When I'm here where I'm now, I'm disconnected.  This is why the Australian Aborigine goes Walkabout and that's why I go Walkabout ... to connect again ...

A Bushman goes Bush and an Aboriginal goes Walkabout ... different continents, same thing ...

No comments:

Post a Comment