With time various topics, most connected to the 'ancient ways,' will be covered. Some of these might be controversial in nature - you're most welcome to contribute.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Tracks in the Sand ...

Today I did a fast 7km's in the hills, with my light pack ... my eyes scanning the bush and the ground.  I saw the tracks of the fox, a single boar, a lonely deer and the always partying Kangaroo.  I saw the droppings of the hare and all the rabbits fooling around at night ...

Up north I made camp way off the highways, as not to hear the sound of trucks passing by.  I always tried to get off the road around 4pm, as it gives me enough time to do a quick run around the selected camping spot ... searching for all kinds of tracks.

I always do a run in concentric circles ... searching for any human activity ... just something you get used to in iAfrica.  I'm in Australia now, but I still don't want any humans around my temporary 'country.'  I get very happy when I see the nesting spots of Kangaroos and the tracks of pigs ... because I know they won't hang around with regular human activity.  The only thing about camping around Kangaroo spots, is the ticks you find on you two weeks down the track ... I think I've found them all now.

All things in life leave tracks in the sand ... even the birds that fly high in the sky must come down to earth to drink.  The larger majority of travelers in this country prefer to stay in places where humans left heaps of tracks and evidence of their activities.  I feel more at peace in places without human tracks ... these are places for the soul.

I have memories of tracks in Africa ... the marks in the sand of the Rhino mating.  Today, in parts of Southern Africa ... the Rhino is being killed at a rate that is faster than it can produce ... by a species that leave human prints in the sand.  Soon the tracks of the Rhino will disappear .. the Rhino just another animal that walked this earth ...

I have memories of a boot print in the sand ... a track we used to run down ... the track of a terrorist ... a low life.  Tracks in the sand, they tell stories ...

A looong time ago, on the west coast of Southern Africa, as a young child ... I walked the dunes and I saw a green spot ... in the middle of the desert.  Bird life that you normally see in the sub-tropics suddenly appears ... and then that feeling of something watching you.  I scanned the sand and there in front of me a giant print ... I broke off a blade of grass measured it.  I ran backward towards the sea and then turned and ran as fast as I could to my stepfather.  I showed him the blade of grass and he walked back with me ... the track of a male lion ... in the middle of nowhere ... watching me ...

Swimming in rivers, in Africa and Australia ... you always scan the sandbanks for tracks ... the tracks of the crocodile.  You then know what's around and how big.   You know if you can swim or not ...

I scan the entrance to my gate ... I scan every single visible spot I can ... because that is exactly what my ancestors did ... because it tells stories ... it tells you who crossed your path ... who and what's around ...

I have spotted the tracks of the Wild Woman ... but I've never been able to find her.  I don't know why I searched for her, as I'm not interested anymore ... still good to see that's she's around ...


No comments:

Post a Comment